Carborundum Universal Limited (CUMI) was founded in 1954 as a tripartite collaboration between the Murugappa Group, The Carborundum Co., USA and the Universal Grinding Wheel Co. Ltd., U.K. The Company pioneered the manufacture of Coated Abrasives and Bonded Abrasives in India in addition to the manufacture of Super Refractories, Electro Minerals, Industrial Ceramics and Ceramic Fibres. Today, the Company’s range of over 20,000 varieties of Abrasives, Ceramics, Refractory products and electro-minerals manufactured across several locations in and outside the country.
With state-of-the art facilities and strategic alliances with global partners, CUMI has achieved a reputation for quality and innovation. CUMI is one of the five manufacturers in the world with fully integrated operations that include mining, fusioning, wind and hydro power stations, manufacturing, marketing and distribution. Almost all of CUMI’s manufacturing facilities have received the ISO 9001 accreditation for quality standards. A well connected marketing and distribution network of offices and warehouses in India and abroad, ensure that service to customers is given prime importance.
CUMI’s constant innovation and product upgradation, through in-house R&D and strategic alliances with global leaders in grinding technology, have not only ensured it market leadership in India and abroad, but also international recognition as a manufacturer of quality abrasives and a provider of total grinding solutions. CUMI’s products are being exported to more than 50 countries spread across North America, Europe, Australia, South Africa and Asia.
Revenues 23 Billion
- Establishment of CUMI Europe
- Commencement of Toll manufacturing model operations in China.
- Amalgamation of Cellaris Refractories with CUMI
- Doubled the capacity of the Metallized Cylinder plant in Hosur, with the machinery and technology acquired from NTK, Japan.
- A state-of-the-art Surface Technology Centre was opened at the Bonded Abrasives Plant at Tiruvottiyur
- Inaugurated a Centre of Excellence for Research in Technical Ceramics for industrial & advanced applications at Hosur, Tamil Nadu.
- Commissioned three fusion plants at its Electro-mineral Complex at Kochi, Kerala.
2004 – 2013
Revenues 20 Billion
- Modern Silicon Carbide micro grit plant in Koratty, India
- Modern polymer manufacturing facility near Chennai, India
- Establishment of CUMI Middle East
- Establishment of state-of-the-art Coated Abrasives plant at Sriperumbudur, Chennai, India
- Acquisition of Monolothic Refractory facility in Jabalpur, India.
- Acquisition of Volzhsky Abrasive Works, Russia.
- Acquisition of 51% holding in Foskor Zirconia (Pty) Ltd, South Africa.
- Establishment of world class facility for wear resistant liner tiles at Hosur, India.
- Manufacturing facility for Thin Wheels at Uttarkhand, India.
- Manufacturing facility for Power Tools at Jigani, Bengaluru, India.
- Commissioning of a modern 1,000 tonne Vitrified Bonded Abrasives plant and
2,000 tonne Organic Bonded Abrasives facility in China.
- Establishment of state-of-the-art Metallised Cylinders plant at Hosur, India.
- Establishment of state-of-the-art Super Refractories plant II at Serkaddu, India.
- Setting up of a modern facility for manufacture of anti-corrosive products at Serkaddu, India.
- Establishment of automated Silicon Carbide Micro Grit plant in Cochin SEZ, India.
- Acquisition of Thukela Refractories Isithebe Pty Ltd, South Africa, a fused mineral manufacturing facility in South Africa.
- Setting up of the Ceramic Foam Refractories plant at Kochi, in collaboration with Cellaris Ltd, Israel.
1994 – 2003
Revenues Rs.3150 Million
- 12 MW Hydel project at Maniyar, Kerala, India.
- Second unit at Edapally, India for manufacture of Brown Aluminium Oxide grains.
- Acquired a controlling interest in Sterling Abrasives Limited, Ahmedabad, India.
- Acquired a controlling interest in Cutfast Abrasive Tools Limited and Cutfast Polymers Limited and subsequent mergers.
- Established CUMI America Inc., USA & CUMI Australia Pty. Ltd.
- Established a 5.5 MW natural gas based thermal power plant in Nallur, Tamil Nadu, India, through SEDCO.
- Acquired Prodorite Anti-Corrosives Ltd., a leading player in anti-corrosion engineering.
- Cloth processing facility at Maraimalainagar, Tamil Nadu.
1984 – 1993
Revenues Rs.1308 million
- Expansion of Bonded Abrasives plant at Hosur, India with a modern facility for vitrified grinding wheels.
- Silicon Carbide plant at Koratty, India & Refractories plant at Ranipet, India.
- Industrial Ceramics plant at Hosur, India.
- Acquisition of 40% interest in Wendt (India) Ltd., a company manufacturing Super Abrasives.
1974 – 1983
Revenues Rs.337 million
- Acquisition of Eastern Abrasives Ltd, a Coated Abrasives manufacturer in Kolkata, India.
- Second Bonded Abrasives plant at Hosur, near Bengaluru, India.
- Established MMTCL as a joint venture with Morgan Group plc. for ceramic fibres.
1964 – 1973
Revenues Rs.78 million
- Manufacture of Super Refractories at Chennai, India.
- Brown Aluminium Oxide grains plant at Edappally, India.
- Calcination facility at Okha, Gujarat, India.
1954 – 1963
Revenues Rs.19 million
- Incorporated as a joint venture between Carborundum Company, USA.
- Universal Grinding Wheel Company, UK and the Murugappa Group, India.
- Acquired a Coated Abrasives facility from Ajax Products Pvt. Ltd.
- Bonded Abrasives facility set up at Chennai, India.
- Bauxite mining at Bhatia, Gujarat, India.