CUMI was founded in 1954 as a tripartite collaboration between the Murugappa Group, The Carborundum Co., USA and the Universal Grinding Wheel Co. Ltd., U.K.
The company pioneered the manufacture of Coated Abrasives and Bonded Abrasives in India in addition to the manufacture of Super Refractories, Electro Minerals, Industrial Ceramics and Ceramic Fibres. Today the company’s range of over 20,000 different varieties of abrasives, refractory products and electro-minerals are manufactured in ten locations across various parts of the country.
With state-of-the art facilities and strategic alliances with global partners, CUMI has achieved a reputation for quality and innovation.CUMI is one of the five manufacturers in the world with fully integrated operations that include mining, fusioning, wind and hydro power stations, manufacturing, marketing and distribution.
Almost all of CUMI’s ten manufacturing facilities have received the ISO 9001:2008 accreditation for quality standards. A well connected marketing and distribution network of offices and warehouses in India and abroad, ensure that service to customers is given prime importance.
CUMI’s constant innovation and product upgradation, through in-house R&D and strategic alliances with global leaders in grinding technology, have not only ensured it market leadership in India and abroad, but also international recognition as a manufacturer of quality abrasives and a provider of total grinding solutions.
CUMI’s products are being exported to 43 countries spread across North America, Europe, Australia, South Africa and Asia.