Over the years, CUMI has integrated HR strategy tightly with other functional strategies to foster competitive advantage. The capability development and engagement of employees are vital in achieving the business objectives, which is facilitated through a business aligned HR strategy.
As the organization has been going global, from a capability perspective we need to have a future-ready competency model. This model would help us to capitalize on our internal capabilities and would identify and indicate the talents from the employment market which needs to be developed and acquired. In this direction, we have identified the competency drivers that will shape our future, lead us to success, leverage our strengths and predominantly deliver value to the customer. This has been supported and achieved by acquiring inputs from meta-analyses of customized studies done for CUMI by world renowned consultants.
We believe that attracting, nurturing and retaining talent are the key aspects behind our success. CUMI – Electro Minerals division endows an affable atmosphere to learn & grow. Hence we ensure that all our employees are well trained to assist in the growth of the organization and also to meet the present and future needs of the business.
We cultivate a culture in which each individual takes responsibility for his or her own learning.
As a learning organization we invest enormously in Capability Development initiatives through,
- Association with BITS Pilani, University of Michigan, Harvard University, XLRI, Dale Carnegie Training, IITs and numerous other prestigious universities and educational institutions across the globe for capability development
- Allotment of a sizable percentage of HR budget to Learning and Development Programmes
- More than 10000 man hours of training in an year
- Educational Assistance for higher studies while on the job
- Investment in good libraries across locations
- Customized Development programmes based on business needs
- Knowledge Management Programmes
- On the job training and job rotation for multiskilling
- Developing Large pool of Internal Trainers
- Leadership Development Programmes in tie up with premier B Schools for developing internal talents as Future Leaders
Knowledge Management Approach
All organizations depend on the knowledge of their people for business growth. EMD HR team has set in place a Knowledge Management framework for Retaining knowledge and expertise through series of Knowledge Management Initiatives.
These initiatives for retaining and sharing of critical knowledge relevant to business areas are widely recognized in both industrial and internal forums.
Knowledge management initiatives have also helped our organization in faster onboarding and avoid ‘reinventing the wheel’.
The engagement levels of human capital are differentiating the modern day organizations. The employees in the present day organization are no longer driven by hygiene factors. This calls for identifying motivational factors and then planning specific employee engagement initiatives. CUMI Electro Minerals has fine-tuned its Employee Engagement initiatives in recent years and launched innovative initiatives catering to various engagement drivers identified from the engagement surveys and employee feedback. The underlying factor in every engagement programme to is to further improve the happiness at work. The trend setting engagement initiatives in the organization has been recognized by industry associations and internal best practice meets. Family Connect, Employee Recreation Club, EMD Theatre Club and Murugappa Energy Hour are the ongoing programmes to foster employee camaraderie.
Accolades to the Organization
- Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Social Responsibility from Institute of Directors
- CII Industrial Innovation Award
- National Award for Excellence in CSR & Sustainability from National CSR Leadership Foundation in Category – Best CSR Impact Initiative
- Golden Award at the International Convention on QC circle
- National level Manufacturing Competitiveness Award from International Research Institute for Manufacturing
- Par Excellence Award in National Convention Quality Circle
- Gold Award in National Productivity Competition
- NIPM Young Managers’ Award on Innovative Employee Engagement Practices
- CII-Kerala Young HR Managers
- QCFI Kaizen Award
- CII ‘Strong Commitment to HR Excellence Award’
- Prof. Sashadhar Ray Memorial Award 2017 for Industrial Excellence by the Indian Ceramic Society
- Murugappa Group HR Team of the Year Award